SCVWS Exhibit Rules
Artist Participation and Fees
- Any SCVWS member in good standing is eligible to enter member shows.
- On-time registration is required. If you do not receive registration confirmation, please contact show organizers or email .
- Participating artists are expected to help with tasks related to putting on the show.
- Artists must pick up their paintings at the designated times at the end of the show, or they will be subjected to a $5/day storage fee.
- Entry Fees will be venue specific and are non-refundable.
- Artwork must be primarily watermedia.
- Maximum image size is show specific- refer to current entry form.
- Dimensions of framed artwork are show specific – refer to current entry form.
- Artwork should be original work, not done in a classroom situation under supervision. Independently produced class work critiqued by a professional is OK. Direct copies of copyrighted material are not acceptable, including work by other artists, magazines and other printed material or material from the internet.
- No diptych, triptych or other multiple works.
- ANY questions regarding artwork, framing, show criteria, etc., should be asked PRIOR to registration.
Presentation of Artwork
- All artwork on paper should be properly framed and ready to hang.
- Frames should be plain metal or wood.
- Glazing: plexiglass (acrylic plastic) is required for artwork on paper. No glass will be accepted.
- Mats: Clean, well-cut mats required for artwork on paper. Color & value of the mat is at the discretion of the artist.
- Floated art requires spacers to hold it away from the glazing.
- Artwork on canvas does not require glazing but must be properly finished and ready to hang. This means either the canvas must be properly framed or the edges must be professionally wrapped and completely painted in a manner in keeping with the artwork. No visible staples.
- Wire: ONLY conventional flat holders such as D-rings are accepted. No saw-tooths, clamps, or screw eyes since they damage surfaces. No framing with pressure-spring clips used for attaching the hanging wire.
- Wire should be stretched taut, so that when hung it will not extend and be visible beyond the framed artwork. Ideally, stretched wire should reach about 2’’from the top edge. On larger pieces of work, the wire should be attached about 4’’ from the top edge to prevent angling away from the wall/panel.
- Raw ends of wire must be taped.
- Labeling: Identify artwork on the back with title, artist name, phone number and/or email address.
Insurance and Sales
- Insurance is the responsibility of the artist. SCVWS does not insure artwork at member shows. Although every care will be taken to protect your artwork, we are not responsible for any damage to art, frames or glazing.
- When working a gallery shift, all efforts should be made to complete sales of the art.
- SCVWS does not take a commission for artwork sold, although we do request that you tell us.
- Commission may be payable to the venue at their discretion and with SCVWS Board approval. Please take this into account when pricing your work.
- Artwork cannot be removed from the exhibit until pick-up at the end of the show.